International acclaim and Local News

Welcome. On this blog you will find writings and videos on topics of Asia & human rights issues. Please feel free to comment on anything and follow me on Twitter! "Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious" - George Orwell - 1984 Praise for our documentary 'Train to Lhasa':- "Great work, this is really cool to see as an outsider. We really see nothing of Tibet" - jamminthedayaway | "Thank you for making this documentary video. The outside world needs to see what China is doing inside Tibet - to Tibetans" - TibetArchive | "By far the best up and close video tour of Potala palace. Enjoyed watching it. Great job." - tnyima | "I look forward to watching the other parts and to the day when such videos can be viewed in the Middle Kingdom without censorship" - Wizenedcompass | "Just can't wait to visit my birth place! I am crying watching this. Thank you for your lovely video" - Yiney86 | "Very informative documentary that definitely shows what China is doing in Tibet - doing to Tibetans" - TibetArchive | "I was completely captivated by this... i hope to travel to Tibet at some point in the future. Thank you for the amazing look into that area and keeping awareness on this mostly ignored part of the world" - spdybike | "Amazingly real, thank you" - lauriwarmigu | "China is dissolving Tibetan life and culture from every angle. Wow, thank you." - werspansio | " Thank you for this video and it's really sad to see how the Chinese government treats the Tibetans" - adamtashi | Praise for our documentary 'Across the Plateau':- | "Well done and very interesting. I've enjoyed all your documentary parts so far, each one better than the previous one. Congratulations!" - stonetube1000 | "Thank you, these videos filled my eyes with tears and I love my country Tibet. We need more support from the world. Thank you for these beautiful and rare pictures" - adamtashi | "Thank you for making this documentary and for not exposing any Tibetan people you talked to, as you know the consequences" - TibetArchive | "Thank you so much. I felt like I was traveling with you guys and seing all those holy and beautiful places. Thanks for this documentary and your support for Tibet" - 123klpd | "Thank you so much for uploading these amazing videos" - yangphel | "Impressive!" - venuschampagne | "I enjoyed it so much! I'll be going to Tibet and this is very helpful!" - marikojacinto | "Thank you my dear brothers. Your beautiful hard work has contributed to the betterment of humanity and of course helped in attaining equality, justice and respect for basic human rights and cultural freedom. On behalf of all humans who ever lived and will live, I thank you" - Iknowtibet | Praise for our documentary 'Through the Himalayas':- "Thanks for sharing. I will be heading to Nepal and Tibet in October and this series has given me an insight of what to expect" - leimaogowchor | "Great series!! Really enjoyed it! Thank you!" - stonetube1000 | "We're heading to Tibet and Mount Everest base camp next month! We're so happy to see such a detailed video, with lots of good advice along the way. Thanks guys!" - venuschampagne | "Thank you so much. I was able to travel to Tibet sitting right here in my room. My heart breaks for the Tibetan people. Thanks for going and for posting your videos" - Bunten3123 | "Wow what a beautiful world, Tibet. I appreciate both guys who filmed these. You guys are lucky to see Tibet- just hoping one day I will go back to my country, Tibet. Good luck on your journey" - norbu1987 | "Great job guys.... it was beautiful... and you guys are so lucky to see all those holy places.... all the best...thanks for supporting Tibet and keep up the good work..." - 75jampa | "Thanks a lot for a wonderful movie - all my family watched it. It is amazing. Peace and hugs" - rusbolt75 | "Great! Thank you for your courage and your determination in doing this documentary! We Tibetans and friends of Tibet are grateful. Thu je nang and Kadrinche!" - ChoeJhungLhaMola | To watch the acclaimed series online, just CLICK HERE

Friday 17 December 2010

Hardly a photographer, but...


HAVING been fortunate enough to travel to a significant number of incredible places in the world, there are many moments which have stayed with me until now, and will likely do so for the rest of my life.

A trusty IXUS 50 Digital Camera -
 All you need!
Though most of the time these instances are too fleeting or personal to allow a camera to steal them, occasionally I have been able to trap a brief instant between my shutters.

I shall occasionally post a short selection of a few moments which - for one reason or another - I felt demanded to be caught.

I would greatly appreciate comments or suggestions on this one...
All pictures: JOE BRISCOE

_______________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________

India, 2009:

WHEN arriving at a place as famous as the one featured in this photograph, the temptation to shoot it from every possible angle grabs you, and you spend a good hour taking virtually the same picture again and again. After the initial urge to do this passes and you feel confident with your 'safety' images, then you begin to look around.

Suddenly the area ceases to only contain the world's most famous building, and as if by magic all the life around you appears. Families, workers, security guards, children playing, people looking lost - even lovers gazing at each other.

And before you know it, you're looking at an incredibly touching moment, a defining second in the life of a small child. Their first trip to the international symbol of their country. A day which will be burned into their memory for the rest of their life.


A family in India stares upon the Taj Mahal for the first time.
I could see the little girl would remember this day for the rest of her life.
All pictures: JOE BRISCOE

And as the family of three stepped through the gates and were confronted with their first view of the world's most famous monument to love, I raised my camera and caught it forever. Though only I saw the face of the little girl as her eyes gradually settled on the landmark, hopefully from this picture you can imagine the sparkle in her shining little eyes too.

I am not ordinarily one for deliberately out of focus photographs, but in this case I very quickly decided that the building itself remained instantly recognisable when out of focus. I took a number of similar pictures both in and out of focus, but this one seems to retain the scale and dominance of the Taj Mahal the best.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Tibet, 2009:

HOW to photograph the repression of a people? When cautiously exploring Tibet, a place which feels every bit an occupied country, chances to speak to people freely are few and far between. Most will not say anything at all, and those that do are guarded and vague. Add to this the fact that one is accompanied, supposedly at all times, by a 'minder' appointed by the government. Although my colleage and I did managed to give said 'guide' the slip for a while, the massive police and military presence on every street makes one constantly think twice about doing anything undesireable.

And so, for the most part, I was reduced to shooting the things which our guide pointed to.

The video footage I gathered whilst in Tibet however remains a source of much amusement to me.  Each time an armed guard or sniper hidden among the rooftops noticed I was filming him, his expression would change to a look of terror and shout at me while waving his hands frantically. I of course would slowly point the camera away, trying to make it seem like I had simply been panning past him all along.

A Tibetan mother and daughter are fascinated by the first 'westerner' they've
ever seen. Behind them, the infamous Sera monastry - nestled
beneath the mountains which encircle Lhasa.
All pictures: JOE BRISCOE

The above picture though, is a still I managed to take while attempting to get inside one of the buildings of the infamous and now dangerously symbolic Sera monastry - one of the 'great three' Gelukpa university monasteries of Tibet, and particularly famous for nurturing rebellious monks.
As I looked around the exterior of the old Tibetan building and beyond to the mountains I caught sight of a mother and daughter, secretly watching me. As is often the case in Asia, a moment passed between us, I snapped the picture and we shared a smile.

Although the reasons for the devout buddhists attempting to enter the monastry couldn't have been more different to those of this old British atheist, for a second we were all just people trying to enter a very special and symbolic place.


The sun, symbol of Tibet, streams down through the roof of Sera monastry,
 illuminating the dust which has remained trapped in the gloom for an age..
All pictures: JOE BRISCOE

Once inside, the monastry was otherworldy. When within the main hall, I was transfixed by the devotion of the monks and tried desperately to store every second of their heart-trembling chanting in my memory - thinking perhaps that I could store such raw energy and peaceful defiance deep inside for myself.

Soon however, my colleage and I evaded our minder and strayed out - poking our noses around the restricted areas of the monastry. Restricted by the Chinese government, that is.

One of the wonderous little places we stumbled upon is featured in the above photo. An absolutely incredible little room which, as I recall, produced all the food for the thousands of monks who could be staying at the monastry at one time. But the room was so much more than that. It was a snapshot of a different age - littered with ancient Tibetan artefacts and kept in a way that could only have been done in Tibet. The smell of butter lamps soaked out of every wall, and, like the most wonderful film set, the sun splashed down through the roof, making the centuries old dust dance and swim. The ancient, musty air itself alive with the memory of happier times and the experience of tragedy.

While a photo can never contain all that, this one at least puts the basic image into your mind.

_______________________________________________________________________________


Indonesia, 2010:

AS always when travelling, the people you meet are always the most interesting thing. But sometimes, simply watching people without talking to them, and observing their actions - trying to guess where they are from and what they are all about - is just as rewarding as speaking to them.

A lone woman, accompanied by nobody, yet basking in the
intense rays of one of natures most spectacular shows.
All pictures: JOE BRISCOE
As hundreds descended onto the beach at Bali to watch the world renowned sunset, I instead turned my attention to the many who, like me, were watching the spectacle by themselves.
Alone with their thoughts, living their own adventure and yet surrounded by so many strangers.

The sunset, needless to say, was awe-inspiring, but not half as beautiful as the incredible mixture of cultures and nationalities which joined together each night to share the same experience.

I snapped many pictures of all kinds of people over those nights, but the one I have included above is one of the better composed images. Although shooting sunsets is relatively easy, the lone woman I had been watching, seemingly in her own little world with something on her mind, stepped into the sun at precisely the right moment.

And I grabbed it.
_______________________________________________________________________________


China, 2007:

IN a country where gaudy nationalistic monuments and historical shrines to a long-dead culture exist on every street corner, it is something of a rarity to be impressed by them in China anymore. And yet the sheer scale and simple brilliance of the Xi'an city walls still manage to make me smile.

Imagine an entire modern city, surrounded by vast battlements which encircle the entirety of it. While outlying districts have sprung up on the other side of the wall, Xi'an can still be easily negotiated by simply knowing where you are in relation to the wall. There are only a few entrances and exists to the city, meaning that even today, the city could be defended in exactly the same way as a thousand years ago.

And while the walls have of course been rebuilt many times since then, they remain grand and imposing during the day.


But, as the Chinese have a bad habit of doing, by night they are illuminated by somewhat tacky, red (of course) lights. But for once, rather than turning away from them, I was momentarily taken by the resulting affect.


The South gate to the city walls of ancient Xi'an.
Imperialistic, imposing and enchanting.
All pictures: JOE BRISCOE

The picture above is a section of the South Gate, taken a few weeks before Chinese new year in early 2007. If nothing else, I was quite pleased with the way the colour turned out, especially considering the camera used and the fact that it was taken at night.

Who would have thought that Chinese imperialism could be so pretty...

_______________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    The photo that you took of the Tibetian Lady and her Child outside of the SERA Monastry is unique in capturing the Human element, as well as being in the kitchen where the butter tea was being brewed. Nice touch. Was your "minder" concerned when you two gave him the slip? Great Photos. Also, I am a fan of George Orwell and his book "1984". Very perceptive Man!!!!!

    Charlie Burrell
    Conway,AR USA

    ReplyDelete